What my third year at University taught me


Since i started uni, i have written a blog post each year summarising what that year has taught me.
It is crazy to me that this will be my last one, 3 years have come to an end and no doubt i will continue these post about life after uni. If you haven't read my past 2 posts i suggest you do (the difference from optimistic first year to the JOY of third year is just, WOW).


In keeping with my tradition, i will discuss 10 things i have learnt from my third year at uni:

1. Competition
Remember those friends that would help you when you were struggling in your 2nd year... well you can forget about that! It seems once your third year comes around, everyone is a competitor. No-one wants to tell you the grade they got or how to figure something out, you are on your own!

2. No social life
For the last month i have had no social life AT ALL. My exams are starting and i honestly feel like i don't even have the time to leave the house to do a food shop, it is that stressful. Plus, once third year hit it seems i have lost all motivation. This is my most important year... and yet... i do not feel motivated at all!

This is how much of a social life i had, i'm struggling to find pictures from my third year so throwing it back to November 2018, 2 months into 3rd year!

3.ITS HARD
I don't just mean the work load. Knowing that these 3 years, all the debt and stress is based on this last year is so much pressure. Also pressure to look for jobs, have your life figured out and get a first like, GIVE ME A BREAK!

4. Job searching
"So, what do you want to do once you finish uni"- said every adult ever in your third year. If you're one of those people, please stop asking because I DO NOT KNOW! Please do not add to the extra stress of just trying to get through my third year, never mind looking for jobs as well. 

5. Postgrad
Yeahhhh... i know i said in my personal statement i wanted to do post grad when i finished uni, but i was 18, young, and naive. I am so sick of education, i need time to miss it before even thinking about coming back to it. 

6. Who i will be friends with after uni
My friendship groups have always been small, and i think they will remain that way. I am rubbish with keeping in contact with friends so i know i will only talk to people i know i will want to make the effort to see and keep in contact with.



7. I never want to live with friends again!!
As much as i love my friends and living with them for the past 3 years, i do not want to do it again. Everyone has different standards of living and way they do things which is fine, but i am glad it is coming to an end. I also think that because i have lived with my friends, we've sometimes missed out on making the effort to go out and do things because we see each other everyday, we live together so whats the point.


Sorry girls, but i think we all feel the same about this one!

8. No more excuses!
After my third year finishes, there is no more excuses, i will be a 'proper proper' adult so have to do things on my own, for myself, without the excuse of 'urgh im a student, who cares'... going in the real world is scary...
We don't want to grow up!

9. That going to uni isn't the be all and end all
Honestly, probably 40% of my course do not want to go into law after uni. I also wouldn't be surprised if the statistics for people overall is low from going into a job that relates to their degree. It is so hard, at 18, to know what job you want to do and have it all figured out, and sometimes, people learn the hard way whilst at uni that they do not want to do the course they're studying.
That's why i think uni isn't the only route. If i had my time again, maybe i would have chosen a apprenticeship, but then again i have enjoyed my course and made so many memories i would not have otherwise. 

10. It goes so quick!!
I cannot believe how quickly these 3 years have gone by. Yes it is cliche but it really does go so quick!
Time goes so quick so if you're going to uni or still got a few years left, HAVE FUN!


Charlotte x

Comments

Popular Posts