Being an Introverted Extrovert

In my bio I described myself an introverted extrovert.

Introvert meaning a shy, reticent person.
Extrovert meaning an outgoing, overtly expressive person.

So, basically a walking contradiction, right?
Well, not really. As humans we like to categorises ourselves don't we? As we're younger we either fitted into the 'popular group' or the 'geeks', 'goths' or even 'chavs'. From time to time we're a little bit of both- or pretend to be. Why cant you be a popular, geeky goth?
And to be in one of those groups means being a certain way. Stereotypically speaking the poplars are loud and extroverted and goths and chavs by nature are too (Stereotypically). And Geeks are introverts.
Aren't they? Of course we like to categories and label everything as well as gender, sexual orientation and our personality.

And if society says we must label then how is this...there is a name for that Popular, geeky goth...  Ambiverts. This means that we express qualities and behaviours of both introverts and extraverts, depending on the situation. I think many of us are Ambiverts.

 As I've gotten older (and not that much wiser) I have realised how differently I am when I'm surrounded by different people. I use to be quite an outgoing child and show off, always making up dances with my friends after school and recording them and preforming. -One of my favourites being Hannah Montana (of course). It's a shame how confident we are as children and how we doubt ourselves as we get older. *I am guilty of this*

Then, as I got into my teens I became weird. Not normal weird but like RANDOM weird. (and if any of my friends or family are reading this, you know what I'm talking about), but when I was thrown into the big wide world of work I became shy, quiet and reserved.
Then coming to university I've realised I can be an introvert in the sense that I hardly go clubbing or drinking or having crazy nights. More often than not, I'm having a cosy night in watching crap TV. (at the moment that is TOWIE and Made in Chelsea- and can you believe Binky is pregnant?!, anyway...)

It's strange isn't it how different people view you? Some people would say I'm quite, shy, maybe even rude because I don't join in conversations or go on nights out when invited. Others would say I am loud, out going, funny (and modest), and gross.

I suppose what I'm aiming for when writing this post is that you don't have to categorise yourself into one label. You can be extroverted and introverted, or both. But as long as you're true to yourself it does not matter where you fit in.
Charlotte xx

Comments

Popular Posts